When starting your own business itís often easy to get yourself started, but a lot harder to keep yourself going when things get a bit more tough. Here are ten tips to help you stay committed.
1. Set goals. Without goals, thereís really not much reason for you to be in business. If you want to stay connected to your business, it helps to make yourself realize why youíre in business to begin with.
2. Keep goals in mind. You started your business for a reason. You need to keep that in mind so you donít get weighed down by the day-to-day of your work. Keep little pictures or other memorabilia around that remind you of why youíre doing this is the first place.
3. Be flexible. Thereís not a one-size-fits-all method to success; you might have to try a lot of things before you find whatís right for you. The key is to be flexible and willing to try new things when things arenít working for you.
4. Be persistent. While you may want to change when things arenít working, you canít give up on everything so quickly. You have to be willing to keep trying and keep going even if things donít go well.
5. Make it fun. We all want to do things that are fun, and shy away from things that arenít. Make sure the avenues you pursue are not only profitable, but enjoyable to you. If you have stuff you need to do that isnít as fun, try turning it into a game, just like you probably do with your kids to get their chores done.
6. Find supportive people. Itís a lot easier to stay committed to something if there are people on the sidelines cheering you on. Take time to talk to people who are supportive of your business. If you donít have many, try finding people like you online and at local classes so you can encourage each other.
7. Get help. If youíre like most people, you probably think you can get your business going on your own. And if youíre like most people, you probably canít. Starting your own business is a big job, and itís perfectly normal to need a little help or guidance. Try to find a mentor who has already been successful in your area to guide you and give suggestions. They will also be a constant reminder that what youíre trying to do is achievable.
8. Review what youíve done. If youíre feeling like you want to give up or just feel beaten down, take out a pen and paper and write down what youíve accomplished since you started your business. Even if itís just little stuff, write it down. By the time youíre finished youíll probably feel better realizing how much youíve accomplished. Then keep the list and review it and update it every so often to keep yourself going.
9. Expand yourself. Youíve probably found that when you have a new idea or project, you get very excited about it. Try to constantly expand yourself by going to seminars, reading ebooks, getting newsletters, and doing other things to keep yourself coming up with new ideas and getting new projects. The more new things you do, the more excited youíll be about just doing your work.
10. Stay positive. A positive attitude goes a long way in keeping you motivated. Take steps to keep yourself looking on the bright side of life and work and it will be easier to keep yourself going.