Chances are, you enjoy creating and designing websites. And in this day and age, every business needs one, and the more creative and effective, the better. You can set up your own web design business and provide a needed service while making an income.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
1. Learn HTML. You probably are already familiar with the workings of HTML, but if not, you can take advantage of the multiple online resources such as ebooks and articles. Offline, there are many books in print that can help familiarize you with HTML.
2. Develop a plan. As with any business, you値l need to take the time to organize your goals and the processes necessary to reach them. Do you have the time to devote to running a business? Do you have a reliable internet connection and computer? How are you going to pay taxes and are you aware of tax deductions for your business? What is your target market and your area of expertise? How much money do you want to make? These are some of the questions you値l need to ask yourself as you embark on your web design business.
3. Determine what services you are going to offer. In addition to designing and creating a website, you may want to offer hosting or tutorial videos to help small business owners.
4. Create your own website. This is where you will refer all potential clients, and it needs to be a good example of your skill. You will also need to have a folder of sample websites on your site that prospective clients can review. If you have not yet worked for a client, design a few sample websites and put those in your samples folder.
5. Determine what you値l charge for your services. In your plan, you determined how much income you need. You値l also need to determine the number of hours you can work per week or month, and divide this by the amount of money you壇 like to make. In other words, if you want to make $1000 a month and can devote 100 hours a month to your business, then you need to be making at least $10 per hour. While you don稚 have to charge by the hour (you can charge by the service), you need to make a reasonable estimation of how long these services take and charge accordingly so that you average $10 an hour (or whatever you want to make).
6. Promote your business. Offer to design a web page for a well-known company for no charge and use it for a sample on your personal site, and see referrals come your way. Contact past employers and let them know you are in the web design business. You might consider setting up a profile on sites like LinkedIn or Facebook, and use social networking as a source of contacts.
7. Watch out for resources that make false promises. As you look for online sources of information, be on the lookout for sites that promise you that, if you follow their business plan, you値l make millions of dollars overnight. Steer clear of anything that sounds too good or too easy to be true. Developing a business is rewarding, but it requires time and effort to make it happen.